Mittwoch, 9. August 2017

Can Witbier go dry? A story of accidentally aged bottle...

Browar Kormoran (Poland)

WITBIER (accidentally aged)



Witbier, also known as a Belgian white is a traditional, Belgian beer style. Brewed from wheat and barley malt with an addition of orange peel and coriander, Witbiers are characterized by a cloudy appearance and spicy, citrus and floral aromas.
In fact, Witbiers, because of their aroma and a feeling of being an everyday beer are one of my favorite Belgian beer styles.  
So, here is the story – I was cleaning my beer basement recently and have found a forgotten bottle of Witbier. First I was devastated – that wasn’t a common Wit, that was Kormoran. This tells you nothing – well, look through the ratebeer – this is a second Witbier in the world (https://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/witbier/48/).

If you add that my bottle best to drink date passed in June 2016 and I have never heard of aged Witbier, I haven’t had high hopes for this one. Somehow reluctant I have decided to give it a sip, and see what will happen.

And the effects of aging are amazing. It is clearly not like any Witbier I have ever had before. From the appearance – it is still cloudy, golden colored wit. Carbonation got more moderate and sophisticated, leaving beer carbonated enough to enjoy. Spicy aromas were gone, exchanged by something that I could best explain a s a dryness. Overall effect was like drinking and excellent, semi-dry to dry sparkling wine. A bit sour and a tad little bitter at a tongue but clearly nothing that I would connect to its original style. It was possibly the best thirst quencher I have ever had.


For the ones, willing to try to repeat my experiment – my beer basement is a dry, cool place (temperatures below 18 degree Celcius) and the beer have a minimal exposition to any light. Have fun.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen